The Committee was established in 1958, The first President was Prof. dr. hab. Stanislaw Leszczycki, then: prof. dr hab. Kazimierz Dziewonski, prof. dr. hab. Ryszard Domanski, prof. dr. Jerzy Kolodziejski, prof. dr hab. Tadeusz Markowski.
The main tasks of the Committee are scientific research activity and consultation on regional policy and spatial planning policy in the three dimensions of the European Union cohesion policy as well as legal aspects of the integrated planning in the functional and spatial systems at European and national level.
The Committee coordinates the cooperation with the European Regional Science Association (ERSA) – prof. dr hab. Tadeusz Markowski. The Committee has signed an agreement with the Ministry of Regional Development (July 24, 2009), relating to mutual cooperation in the field of development policy and spatial planning and land-use management.